Monday, February 18, 2013

WORLD: Lenten Devotion Day 6

Lenten Photo Devotion: Day 6

WORLD

He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, "If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake, and for the sake of the gospel, will save it. For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life? Indeed, what can they give in return for their life? Those who are ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels."
Mark 8:34-38

What will it profit to gain the whole world and forfeit their life? A question we all need to contemplate in this season of Lent. 

With the availability of the internet the world is literally at our finger tips. A relative's dog is being boarded in a kennel while she is on vacation. I can log on every day and  watch the dog via webcam to ease her mind that he is doing well. With a few clicks of a button I can reach out to almost anyone in the world for anything of my choosing.

I could use the internet for so much...the possibilities are endless...but after years of being on here I have learned many lessons about Christian responsibility on this world wide web. I can be crude, funny, sexually suggestive, wild...that can gain me lots of attention and lots of friends. However, what does it say about me when I've claimed in my status on religion that I am a Christian? I might get popular in the world but I'm giving up my Christ-like living in return. Is it really worth it?

No! Popularity and boasting of my opinions and individuality are not worth failing to live and speak in ways that honor Christ. Yes, there are times I think it would be fun to jump into a conversation or share something funny that is a bit off-color but in the end I have discovered that denying myself the freedom to say what I want and post what I want is indeed the way that leads to a more peaceful and Christ-like life...even on the world wide web.

WORLD

Consider your voice in the world...
are you using it for Christ?


No comments:

Post a Comment