Thursday, February 28, 2013

EARTH: Lenten Devotion Day 16

Lenten Photo Day 16

EARTH


The Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to till it and keep it. 
Genesis 2:15

As we contemplate our Lenten word for today (EARTH), I can't help by be drawn back to the creation story of our wondrous garden. Which also then draws me to the command that was given to Adam - "till  it and keep it." Our culture today is now in a heated debate over just what that means. Some believe that the earth's resources should be stripped and used up by her inhabitants. I even saw a quote recently from a preacher that said we were sinners if we didn't use the resources the good Lord had provided in the Earth. Hmmm, is that really what Adam was commanded?

Till it and keep it. I'm certainly not a farmer but I did learn a few things from my garden growing family. I learned that the ground has to be tilled to be productive. You break up the hard soil so that the seed can take root deeply and grow strong. I learned that the soil sometimes needed help to stay productive - You had to allow a field to stand empty every few years so that the nourishments could build back up. Sometimes you fertilized so that you could help add nutrients back into the soil. I learned that the earth must be respected - A little gift from our Cherokee neighbors. They taught us that you give back to the earth if you take from it.

I believe this is what God had in mind when he commanded Adam (and those to come after Adam) to till and keep it. That isn't a command to strip her of all she has and leave her used up it is a command that says take care of her, she will give to you abundantly if you take care of her.

EARTH
till it and keep it
safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment