Wednesday, February 27, 2013

HEAR: Lenten Devotion Day 15


Lenten Photo Day 15

HEAR

The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep hear his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes ahead of them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice. They will not follow a stranger, but they will run from him because they do not know the voice of strangers."
John 10:3-5

When I was pregnant with my first child, Katie, my husband and I were all consumed by this miracle growing inside of me. We talked to her often and when a little elbow or foot would become apparent we would stroke it and tickle it and tell her how we couldn't wait to meet her. When she was born she had the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck and so they let us see her briefly and then whisked her away to be checked out. It was a few hours later before they brought her to me. My husband had gone to run an errand and when he returned I was holding Katie in my arms for the first time. I will never forget it, she was a few hours old but when Tim spoke her little eyes flew open and she began to strain to get her head turned so she could see him. She knew the sound of his voice and when she heard him - she responded by being drawn to him.

As we continue our Lenten journey we must remember the importance of prayer and daily scripture reading for this is how we come to recognize and know the voice of our savior. It is in spending that daily time with Jesus that we get familiar with his voice so that when we hear it - we too will respond by being drawn to him. As Jesus taught, the sheep aren't going to follow a strange voice - only the familiar one.

Is Jesus a familiar voice to you? When he speaks to you recognize him and respond? When he calls will you hear?

HEAR
the voice of Jesus
calling

No comments:

Post a Comment