Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What Time Is It?

6 So when they had come together, they asked him, "Lord, is this the time when you will restore the kingdom to Israel?" 7 He replied, "It is not for you to know the times or periods that the Father has set by his own authority. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." Acts 1:6-8

Earthquakes, Tsunamis, Nuclear meltdowns, mass death: It always bring the same comment - "We are in the end times!" or "The end of the world is upon us." Suddenly, folks who haven't willingly cracked a bible in years are apocalyptic experts and want to quote Revelation and proclaim they know the end has come. We seem to forget that there have been mass deaths, earthquakes, tsunamis, and Nuclear meltdowns before. Of course, what is happening is frightening and perhaps even unprecedented in terms of natural disasters. But are we really to glean from it that we are living out the last days?

Interestingly, I have been leading a bible study on Revelation which some believe give us clues to the "end of times" but I am also studying the book of Acts to prepare for an upcoming sermon series. I am enjoying how the two books compliment one another so well.

As I began to read Acts today I was particularly struck by the passage I have printed above. Times really haven't changed much have they? Jesus' followers then, and now, are still begging to know what time it is. Is it time for Jesus to come? Is it time for the end of times? I am always amazed that folks spend so much time and energy trying to pinpoint the TIME of the event instead of contemplating the event itself - or even reading the sentence of scripture that comes after the query. Is it time? Jesus says, "It is not for you to know the times or periods..." Why is it when we hear this response we act like the unstoppable 3 year old asking his dad why the sky is blue. Why daddy? Because it is son. But why? Because God made it that way. But why?... You get the idea. We ask the question, Jesus gives a straight forward, reasonable answer and we just pretend we didn't hear it.

Not only do we ignore his answer - we don't bother to listen to his correction. What Jesus goes on to say is, you asked the wrong question. Our question shouldn't be "What time is it?" but instead, "What do I do with my time?"

Jesus is a great teacher, he tells us clearly enough. The power of the Holy Spirit has come upon you and you shall be my witnesses to the ends of the earth! Wow!! How exciting and what a great promise and mission for us Christians. We have all we need to provide acts and words of witness all over world! We have the power to be the hands and feet of Jesus - the teacher and training of disciples - the heart and soul of Christ's church for ALL people to the ends of the earth! But too many of us are still sitting in our pew staring at the clock..."What time is it again?"

The way I see it I'm not going to get any reward if I win the pool by predicting the end of the world. The reward I have been promised, (we all have been promised), is based upon how I love God and love my neighbor...in other words, the kind of witness I am. I have the power of the Holy Spirit upon me to make that happen - how can I fail? Evidently its easy enough - I just refuse to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment