Friday, March 18, 2011

Time for Contemplation

My best friend L. and I love to spend time together, however we are very busy women and our time together is few and far between. When we do get together we are often so tired that we are caught laying around on the sofa's with our eyes closed, talking a bit and napping a bit.  When our family comes in and asks what we are doing we just say "Contemplating."

There is something to be said about just kicking back and relaxing. Just close your eyes and let your mind drift off to a direction of its own choosing. I love that "in between" moment - just between sleep and alert where your mind is most unhindered. I've received some great sermon inspirations in that time. I've solved problems, located lost memories, and have a few conversations with God in those moments.

My Lenten journey this year was meant to be 40 days of contemplation - each day spent seeking God in the quiet and intentional moments I would set aside.  It was great in theory but days like today remind me that sometimes contemplation has to be done on the run. Sometimes life comes as us too fast and we may have to work a little harder to contemplate God in the noise and chaos - but he is still there.

So, even though I ran hard today let me tell you what a saw...
1. I woke up in a warm bed, next to the man I know God sent just for me!

2. I woke up my youngest daughter, and she smiled. She is healthy, happy, fun, and sweet natured. And she loves God.

3. My daughter away at college texted me a few times throughout the day. I feel blessed that she wants to share little details of her day with me. She too is happy, healthy, fun and sweet natured. And she loves God. She goes to church even without us there to make her :)

4. I officiated a funeral today of one of God's saints. I thought it would be a sorrowful burden - but God brought such a sense of rejoicing and celebration that even as the tears rolled, so did the laughter and stories and good memories.  God's assurance of resurrection was more real at that moment than I've felt in a while.

5. Today the sun was warm, the sky was blue and I didn't have to worry about earthquakes, food, radiation poisoning, etc. - but my Japanese brothers and sisters do, so I stopped what I was doing and I prayed. I felt God's pain at the suffering of the world.

6. I got home, changed clothes and prepared to go on a date with my husband. We used a gift card someone had given us for a fancy meal. I was reminded of God's provision which comes upon us in the most unexpected ways.  We talked about our first 21 years together and dreamed about our next 21. I felt God's peace and assurance of our future.

7. On our way to dinner we did make one pit stop...Forsyth Hospital to welcome a new little one into the church family.  That felt like my gift and reward...to move from a funeral to a nursery, holding a newborn baby, so perfect and peaceful.  I am in awe at the glory of our God who brings new life.

hmm, 7 blessings - the biblical number for complete or total.  I feel totally and completely blessed.
I think I will go contemplate some more...good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment