Thursday, March 10, 2011

My Traveling Companion Awaits

"Thus says the Lord of hosts, Return from your evil ways and from your evil deeds."
Zechariah 1:4b

I'm not sure why but today I am drawn to the hard hitting prophets of the Old Testament. Perhaps it has something to do with a disturbing dream I had last night which centered around old houses. My dream interpretation books says a house represents the state of the soul - hmm - I better ponder that one later. Or, perhaps, because today I found myself sitting in yet another Hospice ward trying to make some sense out of tragic death. Or, it might just simply be that Lent always reminds me of that great prophetic message - Repent, for the Kingdom of God is near. Either way, the prophet Zechariah became my companion for the day.

I will admit that I get lost a lot. I hate asking for directions and I'm often so sure of where I am going that I don't even bother to check a map or load my GPS, I just take off and figure I'll find it easy enough. It is a silly habit really because I've noticed it rarely goes well for me. Instead, I waste time turning around and backtracking trying to figure out where I am and where I went wrong. The great prophet's pleas remind me of this predicament. Perhaps this was Israel's problem too. Too much self assurance that they could find the way on their own, they didn't need a guide or consultant.

Often, we get ahead of where we should be and we need to turn around and go back. This is God's message to his children - "You've gone too far away! Turn back!" I love how Zechariah records it in vs. 3 - "Return to me, says the Lord of hosts, and I will return to you, says the Lord of hosts."

I find this promise comforting today. It brings me hope to know that when I get far down that road of self-assurance only to realize I am lost, all I have to do is turn around and go back. God will be there waiting to join me as we journey together in the RIGHT direction.

As I journey into Lent I know I have, in essence, turned around. I've gotten lost by striking out on my own too much lately. This road is dark and curvy and not at all appealing. I am ready to be back on the lighted path of a more secure journey accompanied by the greatest travel companion I can image...my God.

I smile as I type this because suddenly my surroundings seem more familiar. I am sure I've been this way before and fond memories flood my soul. It may be too early to tell, but I believe I see a familiar figure up ahead and my heart is full of joy. My traveling companion awaits.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment